Chicago is a global music powerhouse activated by musicians working across multiple genres at the highest level of artistry. The Chicago Music Summit, presented by the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events, was created to shine a light on Chicago’s innovative and thriving music scene, and to connect professionals with local and national industry leaders. Featuring panels, concerts and networking opportunities, the Chicago Music Summit provides free professional development and exposure to support Chicago’s music industry.
More than 20 panels on a wide variety of topics featured 100+ speakers including representatives from Sony Music Entertainment, Kickstarter, Elastic Arts, Pitchfork, Bonnaroo, SoundCloud, Universal Republic, Live Nation, Lincoln Center, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Monterrey International and many others.
- Opening Keynote by Common
- Welcome to the Music Business: You're F***ked!
- Album Release Strategies for the 21st Century
- Breaking Out of Regional: National and International Touring Strategies
- Audience Building: Promotion, Branding, and Your Online Presence
- The Science of Networking: Strategies for Leveraging Opportunities
- Chicago Jazz: A Roundtable
- Licensing and Syncing: Getting Your Music on TV, Movies, Video Games
- Monetizing Your Music: YouTube, Streaming, Digital Distribution
- Website Demolition Derby
- Enhancing the Mobile Music Experience
- Blues Impurities: The Contemporary Chicago Scene and What Lies Ahead
- "Move Your Body," "(It's) Time to Jack," and "Can You Feel It?"
- Performance Rights Organizations Roundtable
- Success, Authenticity and the Chicago Music Industry
- Crowdfunding: Industry Savior or Untamed Roller Coaster
- Music Partnerships on the Web: Workshop hosted by YouTube
- Non-Traditional Revenue Streams
- Hacking on Music: Paul Lamere of The Echo Nest
- The Art of Making Great Records: A conversation with Grammy Award-Winning Producer Ed Cherney
- Showcase of Local Music Tech Products & Innovations
- The New Gospel Music Deal
- Behind the Screen: Auditioning for America's Orchestras
Produced for EARS and the Chicago Music Summit / DCASE.by: Fran Allen-Leake (LJet Productions); Blaise Barton (Joyride Recording Studio); Danny Leake (Urban Guerilla Engineers); Executive Producer Reid Hyams (X-Art Entertainment)
All Audio Recordings: Edited, Assembled & Mastered by Danny Leake for EARS & The Chicago Music Summit.
EARS' Chicago Music Summit Panel "The Art of Making Great Records: A Conversation with Grammy Award-Winning Producer/ Engineer Ed Cherney" -- Moderated by EARS Co-President Blaise Barton.
Special Thanks to EARS Pro-Members: Valentine Azbelle, Fran Allen-Leake, Blaise Barton, Ed Cherney, Danny Christy, John Christy, Professor L. Stanley Davis, Justin Esco, Rob Gillis, Reid Hyams, Danny Leake and Danny Ortiz; SAE Institute Director’s Bill Smith & James Thomas.
A Very Special Thank You to Our Friend & EARS Pro Member Ed Cherney.